Saturday, August 11, 2007

Yo-yos

Day 33 (con't)
...Of course, one of the best things about living in New York City is the limitless amount of activity and events which occur every single day. Shortly after posting this afternoon I get a call from one of my best pals, Lindsey. Lindsey and I went to University of Arizona together and were roommates for our Senior year. Lindsey also works in production as a location manager and is always employed but can never seem to find me a gig (hummmph!) Yeah, thanks Linds. Anyway she informs me that she is headed down to South Street Sea Port for the International Yo-Yo Championship. I've got nothing to do (as always) and decide to meet up with her there. In all my New York living I've never made it to South Street Seaport and upon getting there I was blown away by Americana-centric Disneyfication of the area. I nearly expected some overwhelming mascot figure to jump out at me and charge $15 for a Polaroid photo. I poked around the area for a bit taking in the atmosphere of it all before joining Lindsey and being completely blown away at these expert yo-yo'ers. I mean, these guys (and kids) rocked. They do things with yo-yo's you couldn't even imagine. I enjoyed the show and was very happy to have attended. I soaked up the sun, sat back, looked across the river to Brooklyn and thought to myself, "Damn, I love living here!"

No comments: