Monday, November 17, 2008

Must See: The Play about Henry

Roman Feeser never intended for his play "Missa Solemnis - or - The Play about Henry" to so uncannily correlate with today's current events.

The play follows the true story of Henry Matis, a young Mormon who desperately struggles with his devotion to god, religion and tradition while trying to overcome his emerging "same-gender" attraction.

The play, which runs about 90 minutes, centers around Henry, his family, his church and a love interest as he painfully tries to understand how someone so devoted to God's service could end up being the antithesis of what he knows to be right and true. In raw and emotional blow-out performances the characters shed light on the cultural divergence of how religious Americans deal with homosexuality and ties in everything from coming out to the current constitutional bans on marriage.

As Henry says, "I engaged myself in a false delema: either one is gay or one is Christian. As I believed I was a Christian, I believed I could never be gay."

I regret having not seen this play at an earlier date because I would have urged you all to go way before the last week of the show's run. There are just a few more performances from Wed-Sat of this week starting at 8PM.


Below is a trailer I shot and edited for Roman to help promote his play. Enjoy:

The show is at:
TBG Theatre,
312 West 36th Street
3rd floor
(btw. 8th & 9th Aves.)
Please visit: www.theplayabouthenry.com for all information.

No comments: