Sunday, November 9, 2008

Action Alert!: NYC Prop 8 Protest

This just in...

Wednesday, November 12, 2008
6:30pm - 8:00pm
New York Manhattan Mormon Temple
125 Columbus Ave at 65th Street NY, NY
Tens of thousands of our brothers and sisters are in the streets in California and Salt Lake City and around the country protesting the votes banning same-sex marriage in California.

Join them! Make your voices heard right here in New York City.

We will tell the Mormon Church how we feel about its relentless campaign to condemn and control our lives. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was, by far, the biggest financer of California's heinous and hateful Proposition 8. The Mormon Church begged their members to donate money to Prop 8, pouring 20 million dollars into the campaign. And their attacks on us didn't start there and aren't about to end. They're plotting right now to bring their money and influence to bear against the LGBT community everywhere in this country, including trying to prevent marriage equality in New York.

Join us in speaking out against Mormon hate! Stop them taking away your rights!


PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATION - BRING SIGNS -- ALE
RT THE MEDIA
Facebook link here

Reports from CA are that people are getting wildly creative with their signs and actions. I thinks it's tremendous that New York is speaking out.
UPDATE: 10,000+ marched in Silverlake last night! Videos and article here.

3 comments:

Marker said...

Bravo! Take it to the streets, NYC gays. Wish I could be there.

Expose the evil Mormon cult for what it is.

Tony Adams said...

My nabe. You know I'll be there.

Dharma Kelleher said...

What if we all found a local church, walked in early enough to get a seat in the front row, while wearing a Marriage Equality T-shirt? What if instead of singing the suggested hymns, we sang the following as loudly as we can.

Jesus loves me, this I know.
For the Bible tells me so.
Gay and straight to him belong.
Some may hate but they are wrong.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
The Bible tells me so.

What if we did this every week until we got marriage equality? Nonviolent civil disobedience makes a difference.