Monday, May 19, 2008

Hoffman & Leven

No we're not a law firm- but hey, we do talk about gay activism!

The poster I mention is from an art collective called "fierce pussy" who is
"a collective comprised of a group of queer women committed to creating public art and performing direct action around issues of lesbian identity and visibility. fierce pussy was composed of a fluid and often-shifting cadre of dykes. Core members included Pam Brandt, Nancy Brooks Brody, Joy Episalla, Alison Froling, Zoe Leonard, Suzanne Wright, and Carrie Yamaoka. Adamantly low-tech, fast and low-budget, fierce pussy relied on modest resources: old typewriters, found photographs, their own baby pictures, and whatever material they could get donated. Much of the work was produced using the equipment at their day jobs. Emerging during a decade steeped in the AIDS crisis, activism, and queer identity politics, fierce pussy brought lesbian identity directly out into the streets in a manner characterized by the urgency of those years."

The work and art of fierce pussy is on exhibition now at Printed Matter.

To find out more info on Wayne Hoffman click the link.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I think this is a great discussion. I for one am still pissed off and still carry a lot of rage. Why? Well because I don't have my brother, it's been 15 years since he died and I'm still pissed off that he's gone and I can't talk to him. I was so pissed off and enraged that I chose a career in science because I wanted to fight the cause of his death, I want to kill HIV for my brother. Whether it be in the lab or on the street stuffing condoms in people's pockets I want to kill HIV. I hate it.

Anonymous said...

The war is, of course, far from over. If the enemy was once the virus and the people in power, the enemy is now more surreptitious and more insidious: the complacency of so many sexually-active gay men -- who should fucking know better, having fought on the front lines against those early enemies -- and the pooh-poohing of angry activists still trumpeting the safer-sex message by those who now have access to the in power.

The enemy is a complacent gay media "reporting" on the frightening rise of brazenly-advertised bareback sex with the attendant nondrop in seroconversion rates, without calling self-proclaimed "bold sexually transgressive outlaws" on their idiocy.

The enemy is all of us who hear the phrase "condom fatigue" and don't shout out "WHAT condom fatigue?!" It's amazing what a few words of safer-sex reassurance can do to bolster the resolve in someone who's questioning giving up the latex.

Also, I'd like to make a suggestion for future video chats with Mr. Hoffman. Two words: hot tub.