Monday, August 24, 2009

Fact or Fiction: Roxy Reopening

Let me see you put your hands up!
Well the rumors have been circulating for well over a year now. Does anyone have the cold, hard skinny on this? Is the Roxy going to reopen this winter?

I can only hope so! In my opinion NYC gay nightlife took a harder hit than expected when The Roxy closed. Things certainly haven't been the same. Smaller venues, less dancing. Blech! It's a sad era in NYC when the gay men here have no arena sized dance floor to call our own nor a means to represent our enormous presence here in this city.

Whether you went there or not, often or hardly at all, The Roxy was a place where on any given Saturday night you could lose yourself in a sea of men and a throbbing beat that kept you dancing til dawn.

Stepping on to that dance floor made you feel like - - - like you lived in New York City.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Palladium, Area, Club USA, Danceteria, The Saint, Tunnel - that all you know is the Roxy kinda breaks my heart...

Unknown said...

Oh cut me a break! All of those clubs you named have turned into NYU,Restaurants,Office space,or some other nonsense.Roxy is the only one still standing with the potential chance of making a comeback.Roxy isnt the only club we all know.However it is the ONLY club that made it through present time and the only club that can make it happen NOW! If it is to have that chance.Im 24,I know about all of those clubs (i.e. Twilo,Palladium,Both Sound Factories the original on 27th and the other one on 46th that is now Pacha,Exit,club USA,Limelight,the Saint,Paradise Garage,Studio 54,ROXY etc...)How do I know about these places? When I was 18 and just starting out with my nightlife I was curious enough to do alittle research on what NY nightlife was like when I was growing up in the city,I even asked people who have been to these places what they were like.

Roxy was a gr8 place for Saturday nights,Ive met alot of nice people there and it was a place I frequented.I showed loyalty to Roxy.Roxy is a legendary nightclub (regardless of what the ignorant say about it) Roxy brought the community together for many years and it would NOT be a bad thing if Roxy is to make a comeback.Pacha is a fun place to go but remember Pacha is a str8 club,we need the Roxy back to keep that real gay New York nightclub atmosphere alive.I hope everything works out for Roxy and that they can make a return.Ive been to atleast 60 different places in New York,but there is NO place in New York like the ROXY (515 west 18th street)

Unknown said...

Wow, did I say all that just by pointing out that there might be more than the Roxy to aspire to? That kinda breaks my heart as well...

Unknown said...

That is YOUR individual opinion,however the facts are already in bold print (figuratively speaking).