Friday, May 15, 2009

Happy Friday: Zombie Love!

You leave me so hungry!
My fascination with horror films began early on. My father, a horror enthusiast himself, would take me along to the midnight screenings of horror flicks when I was just a wee lad. My first in-theater horror film was Nightmare on Elm St. 4 (I love you Alice!) when I was just 7 or 8 years old. But even before actually going to the movies we would have family screenings of C.H.U.D. and The Fly at home. C.H.U.D. (Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers) is your run of the mill classic B Grade horror film. But after seeing it that night I was afraid to go to bed and although the film takes place in NYC my father lied to me and said that CHUDS actually live in Mississippi and pulled out a map of America to show me how far Mississippi was from New Jersey and that it would be impossible for them to ever get me. To this day whenever I hear of Mississippi I think of C.H.U.D.

Since SAW and Hostel I feel Hollywood has really fucked with the horror genre. SAW and Hostel aren't horror films. They are torture/Gore films and completely lack the classic conventions of traditional horror films. Since then horror films have been a mess and I've put my foot down and now am only focusing on one genre: Zombies!

I don't know what it is about the living dead that I love so much but I can't get enough of it. Maybe it's the fact that you can't hurt or scare a zombie or the fact that zombies are nothing but the undead savagely hunting for your braaaaaains or maybe it's all just a coping mechanism for living in New York City in the age of doom and terrorism but whatever it is - if there is a book or a movie about Zombies I'm into it.

Recently I just saw Quarantine which I didn't have high hopes for but ended up loving! It's a classic zombie flick! A female lead, a group of people trapped and one by one they all die or worse, become the living dead themselves. If you haven't seen Quarantine and are a fan of Zombies I strongly suggest you check it out.

Other Zombie and Zombie/Apocalyptic things you may want to check out are:

Films:
28 Days Later (technically the victims are infected with "rage" but employs classic zombie convention)
The Hills have Eyes (more monsters than zombie)
The Descent (best horror film in a decade!!)
Night of the Creeps (classic horror/humor!!)

Books:
World War Z (the above-all-else quintessential best Zombie book ever written)
I am Legend (more vampirey/monster but totally apocalyptic)
Patient Zero (current book I'm reading- Love it!)
The Road (The reader doesn't really know what is chasing this father/son duo but fantastic apocalyptic powerhouse)
Blindness (no monsters or zombies but very end of the world)
The Dresden Files (on going zombie series)

If I'm forgetting anything let me know...


13 comments:

James Figueiredo said...

Great suggestions!

Since a few of your recommendations aren't technically Zombi-y (28 Days Later, I Am Legend, Blindness), I think 30 Days of Night (more the original graphic novel than the movie) would fit well into the theme of your list.

Best,
J.

James Figueiredo said...

Oh, and how could I forget - There's this AMAZING comic book series called "The Walking Dead", published by Image Comics, that's basically a never-ending classic zombie movie.

Issue #61 hit the stores this week, but you can easily find the trade paperback collections at libraries or bookstores.

Also, there's the "Criminal Macabre" graphic novel, which stars private detective Cal McDonald and his zombie sidekick, for a more darkly humored flavor of zombies.

ryan charisma said...

Funny, I never thought of The Road as a Zombie book.

hmmmm.

dps said...

I haven't read it, but it looks good. (And this is real, folks -- find it on Amazon or at your local bookstore.) "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem"

Granville Loar said...

Currently reading "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies." I highly recommend it. Totally twisted using the entire Jane Austen text, with the 'undesirables' and death arts integrated throughout. Campy classic.

mikentx said...

Hiya, heres a link you will find interesting, its true, zombie fire ants http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/67975.html

If your into Apocalyptic Sci Fi, here are some that I find myself rereading ever 5-6 years, guess I'm a slow study
"Lucifers Hammer" L. Niven & J. Pournelle. Granddaddy of the genre "When Worlds Collide".
Biological mega death "Earth Abides" George Stewart. This one was made into a movie with Antonio Banderes. "Eaters of the Dead" Michael Crichton, Vikings, Arabs,drinking, orgies, Zombies from the mists, oh my. My favorite is alternate history/Distopias
"Stone Dogs" scary. Finishing up "The Yiddish Policemans Union"
Michael Chabon, funny and excellent prose. Well I've nattered on to much. It's good to see you writing again. Let me know what you think, lest I forget here is a Directory of Sci Fi, usual search abilities but can be searched by themes.

http://www.scifan.com/

enjoy

Greg said...

Glad you're enjoying Patient Zero. I'm about to start Pride and Prejudice and Zombies in a few days. Hope it's as good!!

badblood said...

Okay one of my favourite games is finding 28 Days/Weeks Later references in public health and governmental advertising - the classic ominous ascending acoustic guitar soundtrack with helicopter blades chopping has become an absolute staple, as has the distressed or grunge effect text in red all caps with choppy black drop shadow. Oh, yeah, and I loved the movies themselves. :)

Stephen Chapman... said...

I like "28 days later" a lot - especially those opening scenes in London. "28 weeks later" just seemed violent and lacked a good story. In my opinion!

Jeremy said...

Hi Eric: I stumbled upon your blog via Joe.My.God. Thanks for the movie and book recommendations. I'm checking the used bookstore downstairs for "The Road" and "Patient Zero" today.

As for "Quarantine," if you can get your hands on the Spanish original, "Rec," I think it's far superior (inasmuch as a lightly-plotted horror flick can be). The two movies are very similar, but I find the lead in the Spanish version less annoying (I was ready for the chick in "Quarantine" to bite it), and it's not quite as in-your-face with the gore.

SwAmPeX said...

Oh my god, Quarantine Sucks, you should check Rec for sure. to bad you have to see it with subtitles but totally awesome

Greg said...

I'm following the author on Twitter, and he just confirmed that the story has been optioned for a possible movie. Done right, this movie would ROCK!

Mark S. King said...

We're long lost brothers! I've been digging zombie movies since I saw "Dawn of the Dead" in theaters! Please check out this blog entry of mine, "Smokin' Kraken": http://marksking.com/my-fabulous-disease/smokin-kraken-why-queers-love-monsters/

Mark