Thursday, March 19, 2009

Public Health Menace

What me worry?
So the Pope walks into a bar...

YAOUNDE, March 17 (Reuters) - Pope Benedict on Tuesday reaffirmed the Roman Catholic Church's opposition to the use of condoms in the fight against AIDS as he started a visit to Africa, where more than 25 million people have died from the disease in recent decades.

The Pope, who arrived to a tumultuous welcome in the capital of Cameroon, also said the continent's people were suffering disproportionately due to the global challenges of food shortages, financial crises and climate change.

"It (AIDS) cannot be overcome by the distribution of condoms. On the contrary, they increase the problem," he said in response to a question about the Church's widely contested position against the use of condoms.

9 comments:

Ryan Charisma said...

Having been raised Roman Catholic. I'm not surprised, but I sure am angry. How absolutely irresponsible. Stupid people do stupid things. But evil people tell stupid people to do (or in this case "not" to do) stupid things.

Hummmph! {walks away pissy}

Xander said...

I'd like to say I was shocked and surprised it the pontifical stance towards AIDS and safe sex... but that would be a great big fat lie, and we all know what a sin that is.

Unfortunately, with people like Ratzinger at it's head, I doubt the Catholic church is going to change its stance any time soon. But nice to hear that Spain snubbed the Vatican by then sending tonnes of condoms to various African countries!

mail said...

Irresponsible for sure. He is also creating enough karma for himself to burn in his hell for eternity.

Homer said...

Why is he recreating that scene from Titanic??? Is he pretending to be Kate Winslett, again?!

Greg said...

He just doesn't like how they feel.

(I'm so going to burn for that one....)

edward2nd said...

You all have to remember that this guy is a major closet case. He does wear Prada after all- red ones!

RG said...

I'm not surprised at all.

And I'm an atheist because....

mail said...

I would like to wave, bang people on the head and have my boy follow with basket in hand to collect your cash. That's some gig he's got. How much longer can they play it? Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!

tilia-tomentosa said...

I came across your blog, and now I know what EXACTLY made one of my gay friends on LiveJournal so furious.

Oh, yes, the pope only has to deliver his speech, and the whole world becomes magically heterosexual and monogamous, and condoms are no longer necessary because we want to breed like rabits, and this planet isn't overpopulated enough.

The Pope is a medieval idiot, and yes, he is EVIL.